Important 2018 Youth Sport Nationals Info
Did you know you should bring a jacket despite 90 degree Kennesaw weather? Several people who'd gone before advised me to. Read on to find out why. This is our first time going to this event, but here's a compilation of all the useful information that we collected for USAC's Youth Sport and Speed Nationals.
There are several important documents and information sources for 2018's USAC Youth Sport and Speed National Championship. As a first time parent going out to S&S Nationals all of this can be kind of confusing. Here's my attempt at summarizing the most important points in one place while also linking out to the individual docs and pages. Hope it helps. Have a suggestion? I would love to hear it. Have restaurant recommendation? Heck yah, I want that. Share that beta!
- Location: Stone Summit Kennesaw (not the Atlanta location!)
- Virtual tour of the gym
- Max wall height: 60 ft
- Wall material: Walltopia (sandpaper finish)
- Last year's speed wall for C and D utilized speed holds from the adult version but set much closer together. Notice Lane 1 is not completely flat. I have no idea if they'll do this set up again but it seems likely. A, B, and Junior are on the standard IFSC 15m wall.
Speed wall at Stone Summit in 2017
- IMPORTANT: Athlete and Coach check-in (2pm-6pm) is at a different location than the competition venue: The Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel. Also at this location: Regional Coordinator's meeting (3pm-5pm) and the Coaches' meeting (6pm-8pm).
- Belayer Testing/Demonstration is at Stone Summit (7pm-8pm).
Thursday and Friday
- Speed Qualifiers are on Thursday. See the schedule linked above. Speed Semifinals are on Friday.
- Sport Qualifiers: Flash format. NO ISO for Qualifiers.
- The Sport qualification round will be Flash format with two routes per gender. All Sport climbers will climb their category's respective Qualifier Route A on Thursday, July 12th and Qualifier Route B on Friday, July 13th.
- IMPORTANT: The route demonstrations will be clearly labeled and available on a continuous video playback in the Competitor warm-up area for all categories. Video recording of the routes by competitors and/or spectators is not permitted.
- Competitors will be expected to wear their USA Climbing Competitor bib in a visible location on their back.
- Bring a sweatshirt. I know, it's going to be 90F and humid outside but I'm told they run the AC hard in Stone Summit and people are freezing in there.
Saturday and Sunday
- Sport Semifinals and Finals: For the weekend the comp shifts to onsight format with isolation. See schedule.
Looking forward to seeing our youth athletes putting in their maximum effort this weekend!
On the banner: Brenden Beauchamp.
Lastly, a nice highlight video of the 2017 event: